"Thunder of the East" Color Guard
The Color Guard is a vital component of the visual presentation of the "Thunder of the East". The membership of the guard has experience ranging from Drum Corps members to novices who have never touched a flag before! Membership in the Color Guard is open to all University at Buffalo students.
Join us for the Fall
While in Color Guard, we develop long lasting friendships and make a lot of memories along the way. We are very friendly and open-minded, we welcome everyone from all backgrounds and abilities. Even if you may not have a lot of experience or any for that matter, we are very helpful and are glad to work with any interested learner. If you have just gotten the hang of a drop spin or if you can perfectly execute a 7 spin rifle toss we want you! We spin flags of most any shape size and design as well as rifles and sabers.
The UB Color Guard is a great experience, we do quality work, put on great shows and have a lot of fun in the process!.
Did you know?
- We started a Winter Guard this past spring! If you wish to be a member of our 2013-2014 Winter Guard Program why not start with joining our fall program!
- Color Guard Members are eligible for scholarships too! All you have to do is complete the scholarship application and perform an audition during our annual band camp. The Color Guard staff will teach you an audition routine during the week and you will have the opportunity to perform it for a chance to receive a $250-$750 scholarship! Additional information regarding the scholarship process is below.
- Even if you donít receive a scholarship you WILL receive a stipend for successful completion of the season. Stipends range from $125-$250 depending on duties within the band and seniority!
- The Commanding Officer of the Marching Band is a Color Guard member! This is the first time in the history if the UB Marching Band that the top student leadership position is held by a Color Guard member!
- Even though guard experience is preferable, we don't require it! The UB Color Guard is looking for individuals of all experience levels.
- The ONLY requirements are: high energy, intensity, optimism, great attitudes, and belonging (you want to be here)!
- Being a part of the UB Color Guard requires you to register for camp by completing the online registration.
- During the Fall Semester we will rehearse with the band on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 6:30-8:30 PM. You may also receive class credit (2 credits) for participation by registering for MUS 130. You may register by logging on to HUB or by requesting the assistance of your academic advisor.
2014 Band Camp - We will announce the dates and times of our annual training camp on/around March 2014.
UB Color Guard Performance Excellence Scholarship
Continuing in 2013, we will offer Performance Excellence Scholarships for outstanding members of our Color Guard by audition! You may apply for consideration by completing and returning the Scholarship Application. The audition will require a high level of display of technique and satisfactory performance of the audition routine. During the first day of band camp all the technique will be reviewed and we will begin teaching the scholarship routine. Once the routine has been taught the Color Guard Staff will set an audition date and time for all who have applied for consideration. After the auditions, the CG Staff will announce the recipients of the scholarship awards.