The Wind Section is the largest section of the "Thunder of the East" Marching Band. We accept all interested persons into our section. Hard work and a positive attitude are always rewarded in our group regardless of your skill level! We are a great section because of our dedication to quality music and powerful performances. Membership in the Wind section is a rewarding and exciting experience!
Join us for the Fall?
As a wind player, we work hard to develop long lasting friendships and to make a lot of memories along the way. We are very friendly and open-minded, we welcome everyone from all backgrounds and abilities. Even if you donít have a lot of experience we are very helpful and are glad to work with any interested musician. If you have just begun to play or have been playing forever we want you! We have open positions throughout the section on all instruments!
The UB Marching Band is a great experience. We perform quality music, put on great shows and have a lot of fun in the process!
The Wind Section is composed of the following instruments:
- Alto and Tenor Saxophone
- Tuba (over the shoulder- no sousaphones)
Do you need to borrow an instrument?
We have many instruments available for our members. Note: If you play mellophone, baritone, or tuba we already provide those for you. If you plan to perform in any of the other sections (ex. Piccolo) and need to borrow an instrument for the season please indicate your need when you register to join the band! There is no charge for using our instruments!
Did you know?
- All band members are eligible for scholarships! All you have to do is complete the scholarship application and perform an audition during our annual band camp. All of the info for the scholarship is online; You will have the opportunity to receive a $250-$750 scholarship!
- Even if you donít receive a scholarship you WILL receive a stipend for successful completion of the season. Stipends range from $125-$250 depending on duties within the band and seniority!
- Even though performance experience is preferable, we don't require it! The UB Marching Band is looking for individuals of all experience levels.
- The ONLY requirements are: high energy, intensity, optimism, great attitudes, and belonging (you want to be here)!
- Being a part of the UB Marching requires you to register for camp by completing the online registration.
- During the Fall Semester we will rehearse on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 6:30-8:30 PM. You may also receive class credit (2 credits) for participation by registering for MUS 130. You may register by logging on to HUB or by requesting the assistance of your academic advisor.
The 2013 season officially starts for the entire "Thunder of the East" Marching Band on August 17, the first day of band camp. Each member is also required to attend our annual band camp during from August 17-25, 2013. Housing is provided free of charge if your will be residing in the residence halls during the fall semester.
Camp is held on the UB North Campus at Kunz Field. All members are required to attend... no exceptions can be made. During camp we will add drill to our first show and finish memorizing our music. Camp is the most important time during the season because we have so much time together. Once camp is complete, it is all downhill from there. Hard work during camp pays off extremely well during the season. You will also find yourself with 160+ friends before you step foot on campus as a 1st year student. Band camp will run through August 25.